Monday, July 25, 2011

Here we go

So here I am.. a Monday afternoon after two weeks of kids classes. No pics. Sorry! but... that's ok. I"m sort of glad it's over.. I mean, I'm glad that I can get back to normal for at least a few weeks before the next round starts. To say the least, working with 9-12 year olds is challenging and rewarding.. if you have the opportunity to do it, you should give it a go.

So now that we're done (for now), I thought I deserved a day to make a few pots for myself. We're planning on firing with Tara Wilson in the middle of August.. so I"m starting to get a few things made. I've realized that I have.. a few strains of ideas that I can't stop doing. There's the black, sgraffito pots.. and there's these impressed pots (not to mention a few others) made for the wood kiln. Here's the new ones..





What else has been happening?

Crista was cleaning up a new paper cutter that our friend Scott lent to us. Crista is a really good book maker..and is planning to create some 40 new sketch books as soon as she can. She's recycled some old Readers Digest book covers (from the 1950s-1960s) from some local thrift stores.. They're so amazing.. (soon to be for sale!) Not to mention a book full of drawings from all the kids during the summer classes we're teaching.



Also I've finally been using the new plaster troughs that Matt and I made. They're doin great! Once I fill one of these puppies up.. I'm getting about 50 lbs. of reclaimed porcelain. But.. I have over a year and a half of trimmings and scraps to recycle..I don't know if I can keep up with only three troughs.





And of course..everybody knows that with wood firing, comes wood prep- Here are a few shots of the log pile Tara has near her kiln. Every few days, I or Crista and I both, got out for a few hours and either use the saw..or splitter.




Lots to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment