Monday, May 3, 2010

Defense




Earlier today was my final critique and defense of the little show I put up at the Library here on my campus. It was a long day of critiques... we started at about 9 am and didn't get to mine last... until about 12:30...and it lasted close to a full hour. People were hungry. Bad bad...bad bad bad.

I still haven't had a lot of time to digest what happened, but I do know that what was said today was probably some of the harshest statements I've ever heard. According to some, I am a cop-out, and I have no clue about basic 2-d composition and some of my pots are horrible. Nice final critique of my undergrad career.

I am so f-ing sick of college and academia thought... and I have no idea why people put themselves through this sort of torture.

Tomorrow I'm planning to get some installation shots of the show with my buddy, Trevor. And hopefully I can post shots of the work later this week. I'm in the process of packing my entire life so I can move to Montana...so life has been hectic for the last few months.

Anyhoo.. all I can do is chant "Defense, Defense, Defense!" ....And hope for the best.

2 comments:

  1. Freedom Fighter: I don't know what happens to egos during this final year. I do remember you being a bit cocky with Cory during his defense. I call it The Pissing Contest. Mine is bigger, my is hairer, ya well I can piss further. Bobby the final judgement and final grade I will give you is when we meet for that beer and a bump in 20 years time. Time and who is still standing my friend will be the true test of the strength of your art.You're an "A' student Bobby but you're going to have to wait 2 decades for me to send ya my grade. Congrats on a fine body of work and a hellava work ethic. All the best, Old Bull Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. was i at least constructive with him? i hope so. but i'll take you up on that- hopefully I'll see you before twenty years pass.

    ReplyDelete